Apple Spice Bars
Packed with the flavors of Fall, Apple Spice Bars make a perfect treat as a snack, dessert or even breakfast! Plus, they're the perfect Pumpkin Spice Latte accompaniment.
- 1/2 cup Butter (softened)
- 1/2 cup Brown sugar
- 1/2 cup Sugar
- 2 Eggs
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla
- 1 cup Flour
- 1 cup Oats (old-fashioned or quick-cooking, depending on which texture you prefer)
- 1 Tablespoon Cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon Baking powder
- 1 teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon Baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon Allspice
- 2 cups Peeled apple cubes
- 1/2 cup Walnuts (chopped)
- 1 teaspoon Lemon juice
- Powdered sugar for garnish (optional)
Beat the butter with the sugars until creamy. Add the eggs and vanilla and beat until well combined.
In a separate bowl, combine the remaining ingredients, except the apples and walnuts. Stir well and add to the mixing bowl. Beat just until combined.
Combine the apples and walnuts and toss with the lemon juice.
Fold the apple-walnut mixture into the mixing bowl. Spread into a greased 13×9 casserole dish.
Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Cool completely and cut into bars. Dust bars with powdered sugar, if desired.
- I prefer to use green apples in this recipe, but have successfully used many different varieties of both red and green apples over the years. Feel free to use your favorites or whatever you have on hand.
- For an awesome dessert option, warm an apple spice bar for a few seconds in the microwave and top with some whipped cream or vanilla ice cream. Lightly drizzle on some caramel and enjoy!