Hearty and comforting Chicken Spaghetti gets an upgrade from the classic recipe and ditches the canned soups without losing any of the convenience.
- 1/3 cup Butter or margarine
- 1/2 Green pepper (finely diced)
- 1/3 cup Flour
- 1 1/2 cup Chicken stock
- 1 1/2 cup Milk
- 3 cups Shredded cheddar cheese
- Salt and pepper (to taste)
- 1/2 tablespoon Cumin
- 1/2 tablespoon Chili powder
- 1 8 ounces Can diced tomatoes (drained)
- 1 pound Chicken (fully cooked and cubed)
- 1/2 pound Spaghetti (fully cooked)
In a large skillet or saucepan, melt butter or margarine over medium heat. Add green pepper and cook 2-3 minutes.
Add flour and cook an additional 2 minutes. Slowly add chicken stock and milk. Whisk or stir well to prevent lumps.
Bring mixture to a boil, reduce heat and simmer about 3 minutes, until slightly thicker than a gravy consistency. Remove from heat.
Stir in cheese, spices, and cubed chicken until cheese is completely melted.
Toss with spaghetti until combined. Serve and enjoy!
- Adjust the spices as needed, depending on how much of a kick you want.
- Replace the green pepper with jalapeno or diced green chiles if you want even more heat.
- You can easily double or triple this recipe without any extra effort.
- Turn chicken spaghetti into a vegetarian dish by omitting the chicken, or replacing it with chickpeas.