Chicken with Leeks and Apples
The fresh and savory flavors of Chicken with Leeks and Apples create an unforgettable meal. Easy enough for a weeknight dinner yet elegant enough for entertaining.
- 1 tablespoon Olive oil
- 1 pound Boneless, skinless chicken breasts or tenders
- Salt and pepper (to taste)
- 1 Leek, thinly sliced (white and green parts)
- 4 Cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 tablespoon Dry rosemary
- 1 tablespoon Sugar
- 1/4 cup Apple cider vinegar
- 2 Apples (peeled and sliced)
- 1 cup Chicken stock
Heat olive oil in a large skillet. Season chicken with salt and pepper and add to skillet. Cook until both sides are browned, about 3-5 minutes per side. Remove chicken and keep warm.
While chicken browns, place the sliced leeks in a bowl of cold water and let sit for a couple of minutes. Agitate the water with your hands or a spoon and then drain in a colander. Rinse well with cold water and shake the colander well to drain off as much of the water as possible.
Add leeks, garlic, rosemary and sugar to skillet. Cook until leeks are tender, about 5 minutes. Add cider vinegar and simmer until most of the liquid is absorbed.
Return chicken to skillet. Add apples and chicken stock. Bring to a slow boil and cook an additional 10-12 minutes, until liquid is reduced by half and chicken is fully cooked.
- Try this recipe with turkey breast cutlets to mix things up.
- Serve over barley, rice, orzo, mashed potatoes or pasta.
- Make sure that you clean the leeks well before adding them to the skillet.