With a blend of spices and cheese, this cheesy egg and rice bake makes a savory addition to any meal. It is sure to become a family favorite.Jump to Recipe
Only a few ingredients, that you likely already have on hand are required for this cheesy egg and rice bake that comes together quickly.
It is a great way to use up leftover rice from last night’s dinner. The ease of preparation, combined with its delicious taste will make this an addition to you meal planning rotation this is frequently reached for.
The versatility of this dish makes it a savory option anytime of the day. It makes a great egg and rice breakfast, that is filling and perfect for those mornings where you are short on time.
It can be prepared the night before and just put in the oven in the morning. When you are finished getting ready, your breakfast will also be ready, giving you a great start to your day.
On a busy weeknight, this dish can be served along with our chicken with brown butter and capers and a salad, for a delicious and complete meal. It is a great option to serve a large group and is a crowd-pleasing recipe for any brunch menu.
Vegetarians will love this cheesy egg and rice bake, as it provides them with a meat-free meal that is packed with protein.
HOW TO MAKE CHEESY EGG AND RICE BAKE
This recipe needs only a few basic ingredients that are staples in any kitchen. Plan ahead to have leftover rice and you are good to go.
The ingredients are:
- Black pepper
- Ground cumin
- Cooked rice
- Green onions
- Shredded cheese
Combine the eggs, milk, and seasonings in a large bowl. Whisk them well, to ensure they are completely mixed together.
Add the cooked rice, green onions, and 1 ½ cups of the shredded cheese, reserve ½ of cheese for later use.
Stir everything together and pour it into a greased baking dish. Sprinkle the remaining cheese on top of the mixture and place it in the oven.
Bake it for 40-50 minutes at 375 degrees or until a knife inserted into the center comes out clean. Let stand 5 minutes before slicing and serving.
Tip: Make sure the rice you use is cold, otherwise you risk scrambling the eggs. Plan to leave enough time for the rice to cool down or even better use up leftover rice.
HOW CAN THIS RECIPE BE CUSTOMIZED?
This cheesy egg and rice bake is incredibly versatile and can easily be customized to please any palate.
- Pack in the veggies: Add some veggies, green pepper, red pepper, mushrooms, green peas, broccoli, chopped asparagus, anything work will work.
- Up the protein and turn this into an all-in-one meal: Throw in some diced ham, cooked and crumbled breakfast sausage, diced bacon, etc.
- Swap out the cheese: Do not be afraid to experiment and try other kinds of cheese. I have found goat cheese to be amazing in this recipe.
- Kick things up a notch: Make a Mexican version by incorporating some of your favorite toppings for tacos, such as black beans, green pepper and diced green chilies. You can even top it with salsa and sliced avocados for a real treat!
Yes! This makes an excellent freezer meal! You can prepare and mix all the ingredients to the point of baking. When it is ready to be baked, you can either place it in a casserole dish (aluminum foil pans are great for this) or pour it into a freezer bag.
If you choose to freeze it in a bag, top it with cheese when you are ready to bake it. To save yourself some time and clean up, you can make a double batch of this and bake one for immediate use and freeze the other.
When you are ready to bake this dish, remove it from the freezer and allow it to completely thaw.
If you are going to serve this for an egg and rice breakfast, pull it out the night before and let it defrost overnight in the fridge. All you will have to in the morning is sprinkle a bit of additional cheese on it and pop it in the oven.
Yes, you can. Use cauliflower rice in place of regular rice. This makes this dish even healthier by taking advantage of all the health benefits and nutrients that cauliflower offers.
Cheesy Egg & Rice Bake
- 5 Eggs
- 1 1/2 cup Milk
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon Black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon Ground cumin
- 3 cups Cooked rice
- 1/4 cup Sliced green onions
- 2 cups Shredded cheese (divided)
- Whisk together the eggs, milk and seasonings in a large bowl. Stir in rice, green onions and 1 1/2 c. shredded cheese. Pour into a greased 13×9 baking dish.
- Top with remaining shredded cheese and bake at 375 degrees for 40-50 minutes, until set and a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Let sit for 5 minutes before slicing and serving.
- This recipe works best with leftover rice, so make extras and save to make this dish the next day.
- Have fun with the mix-ins – add veggies, meats and other cheeses. The sky’s the limit!
Leave a Reply