Maple Oat Bread is a delicious and hearty bread that makes a perfect accompaniment to soups, stews, or a holiday dinner. The hint of sweet maple adds an unforgettable flavor!
Maple Oat Bread
- 1 cup Quick-cooking oats
- 1 cup Boiling water
- 1/3 cup Warm water
- 1 Tablespoon Yeast
- 1/2 cup Maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons Olive or Canola oil
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 3 1/2 – 4 cups Flour (White, whole wheat, or a combination of the two)
- 1 Egg white
- 2 Tablespoons Oats
- In a small bowl, combine oats and boiling water. Stir. Set aside to cool a little bit.
- In a large bowl, dissolve the yeast in 1/3 c. warm water. Add maple syrup, oil, salt and oatmeal mixture. The oatmeal mixture should be warm but not hot. (If it’s too hot it will kill the yeast.) Stir to combine.
- Work in as much flour as possible until dough is no longer sticky. Knead for 5-6 minutes.
- Place dough back in bowl, cover and let rise for one hour.
- After an hour, punch down dough, knead another 1-2 minutes, and place in a greased 8 or 9-inch cake or pie pan. Cover and let rise for 45 minutes.
- Brush egg white on top of the bread and sprinkle with additional oats. Bake at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes.
- For a delicious topping, mix softened butter with a little maple syrup and a pinch of cinnamon. Stir together and spread on the bread.
- This bread tastes amazing when served warm. Serve right after baking, warm slices briefly in the microwave, or toast individual slices in a toaster.