This Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole combines the delicious, classic flavors of ham, Swiss cheese and chicken flavors without any of the hassle.Jump to Recipe
If you love the rich and delicious flavors of the classic rolled and/or stuffed chicken cordon bleu, you will absolutely love this casserole recipe! Whereas the classic dish requires a lot of hands-on work and time, the casserole version comes together easily and quickly.
Components of Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole
The classic chicken cordon bleu recipe features chicken breasts stuffed with thin slices of ham and cheese (usually Swiss) that are then coated in breadcrumbs and pan-fried.
However, this recipe deconstructs the classic recipe to create a casserole version. It consists of:
- chicken breast pieces,
- deli ham slices,
- a rich and creamy Swiss cheese sauce,
- and a crunchy breadcrumb layer
What to serve with your casserole
Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole pairs best with simple side dishes that allow the ham, chicken and Swiss flavors to shine while also being able to soak up the cheesy sauce goodness.
Some good options include:
- plain cooked pasta
- white or brown rice
- mashed potatoes
Can I freeze the prepared casserole?
Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole is very freezer friendly. Follow these simple steps to freeze your casserole:
- Use a disposable foil casserole dish.
- Prepare recipe as directed through step 3, but let the cheese sauce cool before you pour it over the chicken and ham.
- Cover casserole with a layer of waxed paper and then a double layer of aluminum foil.
To reheat your frozen casserole:
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Do not thaw or uncover your casserole. Place in oven and bake for 30 minutes.
- While the casserole is cooking, prepare the butter and breadcrumb topping.
- Remove casserole from oven and uncover. Sprinkle buttered breadcrumbs on top and return, uncovered, to the oven.
- Bake for an additional 30 to 45 minutes. Cooking time will vary based on the size of your chicken. You want to make sure that the chicken reaches 165 degrees before you remove the casserole from the oven. If the breadcrumbs start to brown too much, you can loosely cover with aluminum foil.
Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole
- 1 1/2 – 2 pounds Boneless, skinless chicken breasts (cut each breast into 3 or 4 pieces)
- Salt and pepper (to taste)
- 1/2 pound Deli ham slices
- 4 Tablespoons Butter or margarine
- 1/4 cup Flour
- 2 cups Milk
- 2 cups Shredded Swiss cheese (divided)
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon Garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Black pepper
- 1 cup Breadcrumbs
- 1 Tablespoon Butter or margarine (melted)
- Season chicken with salt and pepper to taste and place in a baking dish.
- Layer ham on top of the chicken.
- In a small sauce pan, melt 4 T. butter or margarine over medium heat. Stir in flour and cook for 2 minutes. Slowly whisk in milk, Italian seasoning, garlic powder and black pepper. Bring to a slow boil and let slowly boil until thickened, about 3 to 5 minutes, stirring continuously. Remove from heat and stir in 1 1/2 c. Swiss cheese until melted.
- Pour cheese sauce over the chicken and ham. Sprinkle remaining Swiss cheese on top.
- Melt 1 T. butter or margarine and stir into the bread crumbs until moistened. Sprinkle over the cheese.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 30-45 minutes, until chicken is fully cooked. (Cooking time will vary depending on the thickness on your chicken.)
- Serve alongside or on top of plain pasta, rice or mashed potatoes.
- You can prepare the full casserole up to a day in advance and then bake just before dinner time.
- You can easily double or triple the recipe to feed a crowd.