Get all of your favorite flavors from Broccoli & Cheese Stuffed Chicken in this low-fuss, easy deconstructed version. Comfort food, done right!
I’ve loved stuffed chicken breasts for as long as I can remember. Grabbing a variety of different ones from the frozen section at the grocery store creates a family-favorite dinner. However, they are definitely not the healthiest option!
Healthier & Easier in Casserole Form
Deconstructing the classic stuffed chicken breast to its core components creates a much easier and healthier homemade option. This casserole recipe relies on a homemade sauce cheese sauce and comes together with just about 10 minutes of prep work.
Deconstructed Broccoli & Cheese Stuffed Chicken
- 1 pound Boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Salt & pepper (to taste)
- 2 T. Butter
- 2 T. Flour
- 1 1/4 c. Milk
- 1 1/2 c. Shredded cheddar cheese
- 3 c. Frozen broccoli
- 1 t. Salt
- 1/2 t. Thyme
- 1/2 t. Black pepper
- 2 T. Butter
- 1 c. Breadcrumbs
- Cut chicken into bite-sized cubes and season with salt and pepper, to taste. Place in a small casserole dish (8×8 or 9×9).
- In a small saucepan, melt 2 T. butter over medium heat. Stir in flour and cook for 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Whisk in milk, bring to a boil and cook until thickened to gravy consistency. Remove from heat. Stir in cheese until melted. Add the broccoli. Season with salt, pepper and thyme. Pour over chicken.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
- Melt 2 T. butter and combine with breadcrumbs. Sprinkle over chicken and return to the oven. Bake for 5-10 minutes, or until browned and chicken is fully cooked.