Loaded Baked Potato Soup is packed with potatoes, bacon, cheese and green onions. It’s creamy and absolutely delicious!
A creamy base made of mashed potatoes and milk is filled with generous amounts of potato chunks, bacon, cheese and green onions. Garnish with even more bacon, cheese and green onions, plus a dollop of sour cream. This soup is better than any restaurant soup you’ve ever tasted. So good!
Loaded Baked Potato Soup
- 1 pound Bacon (diced)
- 1 Onion (diced)
- 5 large Russet potatoes (peeled and cubed)
- 3 cups Chicken stock
- 3 Tablespoons Butter
- 3 Tablespoons Flour
- 1 1/2 cups Milk
- 3 Green onions (sliced)
- 3/4 cup Shredded cheddar cheese (divided)
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Black pepper
- Sour cream for garnish (optional)
- In a large stock pot, cook bacon until crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon to drain and set aside. Drain all but 2 T. of bacon grease from the pot. Cook the onions in the remaining bacon grease for about 5 minutes, until tender.
- Add potatoes and chicken stock to pot. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium and simmer about 20 minutes, until potatoes are tender. With a slotted spoon, remove a few scoops of potatoes. Place in a bowl and mash with a fork. Set aside.
- In a small sauce pan, melt butter. Stir in flour and cook for 2 minutes. Whisk in milk, bring to a boil and simmer until thickened. Slowly stir in to stock pot. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer. Stir mashed potatoes back into pot.
- Add 1/2 c. shredded cheese, three-fourths of the bacon and half the sliced green onions to pot. Add salt and pepper. Stir to combine. Cook an additional 5 minutes.
- To serve, ladle soup into individual bowls and top with some shredded cheese, bacon, green onions and optional sour cream.